Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day at Whole Earth Festival



Mother's Day began with a beautiful breakfast, made by Daddy and Joey for Mommy and Lola (Grandma). Yummy vegan treats and fresh, raw fruit!


We then trekked over to the University of California, Davis (where Mommy & Daddy met, went to college and got married) for the annual Whole Earth Festival. What fun! This event is held on campus every year during Mother's Day weekend. Lots of natural, organic products, demos on composting and solar power, live bands, activists reading poetry, raw vegan food, and wonderful vendors selling kalimbas, tie-dyed clothing and all sorts of arts and crafts.
The city of Davis has more bikes than people, and the college campus is no exception! It's always great to see people biking instead of driving.
We watched the food vendors putting lemon peels into the compost piles.
We stopped by the drum circle on the way out...anyone could join in and drum or dance.
Such positive energy! A wonderful way to spend Mother's Day as a family.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Mother's Day, Jennifer! This looks like so much fun and your breakfast looks scrumptuous. It is wonderful to see your annual Mother's Day tradition and a return to where it all began for you & Rick. The children look so happy :)

Linda said...

Oh Jennifer, it looks so wonderful, I wish we had festivals like this in South Africa, hope you had a great Mother's day.

Alicia said...

Mmmm, I can just smell the patchouli! Looks like a really great day, wish I was there :)

jane said...

Hi Jennifer! Thanks for visiting! You have such a lovely blog! Really interesting with great photos! I´ll be back often! Un beso-Jane

themagiconions said...

The positive energy exudes! Thanks for sharing it...

Jenell said...

Jennifer, we were there, too! I liked that you pay a dishware deposit that you get back upon their return. A relatively waste-free event. Awesome.

There were so many incredible artists and vendors that I felt myself wanting it all! My husband and I also made our way to the drum circle to escape that madness. ;)

It was a beautiful day....

cupcakesandcoffee schwartz said...

Aww man! I miss the Whole Earth Festival. I lived in Sacto, worked in Davis before I was married and I always has a vision of toting around a baby in a sling, dancing along barefoot on the grass. Life took me away from N CA, but thanks for posting the pics...LOVE THEM :)